Friday, January 17, 2014

Salad Secrets

I hate salad bars. Though that's not a secret. I'd say I hate all "do-it-yourself" options like this, but my sis just yesterday mentioned a pound cake bar with toppings. Yum please! I also die for the early 2000 trend of mashed potato bars at weddings. And everyone who knows me is embarrassed to know I love a good Golden Corral. Or a bad one.

Lucky for me I married well (read: class). Might be the overall mantra of this blog. With the good hubs came his wise sis. Who upon visiting at the birth of the twinks gave me some treasured advice. It's all about the soggy (my word) Butter (her word) lettuce, lots of avocados (thank you Texan) and lots of dressing. That's the real key. Because if someone puts lots of dressing on it for me then it takes away from the salad bar taste I can't say yes to. Sorry calorie counters this salad is not for you.

I have a go-to salad that I use Brianna's blush wine vinaigrette. In our running list of recipes (more on this later) we refer to it as the "go-to" salad.

If we are feeling fancy there is always the Arugula with shredded parmesan and a homemade Lemon Vinaigrette. Better known as lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper. Back in the good ole days of free lunches (I sure never said there was no such thing as a free lunch) I'd order this regularly at Tosca. It's not on the menu. Just trust me.

I am also a huge fan of the Pioneer Woman's ranch and caesar. The Ranch is especially good on a Tator Tot bar. HUGE fan.

Tonight we are headed to a friend's house and I'm going with the Mexican theme. Trying out a new one. (Original blogger's yummy pic below)  I'll keep you posted.




1 comment:

  1. So how was the Mexican themed salad? It looks really yummy! Tater tots with ranch?! I HAVE to try that! BTW, did you know that Matt's first job was at Golden Corral?

    ReplyDelete