Friday, November 6, 2009

Cotillion Rules

So I never did cotillion. And no one would ever call me grace, despite my 15 years of ballet. But this weekend we head to Chapel Hill for Homecoming. If we wake up in time we will stop by the Kappa Delta house for brunch. I used to love this brunch when I was in college bc I heart breakfast food. But I haven't been back since. When I think about sorority life I have found memories of great friends. And thankfulness for lessons learned. For instance.....though I don't usually believe in sharing sorority secrets.....and kinda wonder since my blog is clearly so famous if I could somehow be reprimanded by some "supa sista" if such exists.....newho, I am so thankful for learning.........a way out of small talk. I hate small talk. I'm so bad at it. For this reason I'm super awkward at......most social events. But during Rush they teach you that if you are done, just rub your arm, and someone else will come in to take over the conversation. Is there a life symbol for this? Do most people I encounter think I have a rash bc I just rub my arm praying to be "bumped"? I know. It seems odd. I'm an outgoing introvert. I can chat my friends' heads till they spin, and tend to do this at home every night. But don't make me small talk. And if you do. When I rub my arm. You know what to do. Bump please!

What is the appropriate "exit" when small talking? Can you just say "ok i'm done"?

4 comments:

  1. i would recommend going through United Way's 2-1-1 Crisis Hotline training - it is amazing at teaching active listening skills. (ie: how to keep a conversation going without offering an opinion either way or any personal information whatsoever) i can show you how over thanksgiving weekend :) it's amazing. but i will be on the lookout for the arm rub so that i can swoop in and not give any opinions on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've seen you rub your arm before and i just thought you were cold :) now i know! small talk bah. i hate it! it's the whole reason my wedding is so small :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie! I just started following your blog... LOVE the rush 'bump' shout-out! Hilarious! Definitely wish we could do this in real life. Ha ha! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holla to my awkward friends, I am the leader! Example- I met a lady in our neighborhood the other day, she introduced herself as Toni O'Brien. I misunderstood the separation between first and last name. "Nice to meet you, Tonio." Nowhere to go from there but downhill.

    ReplyDelete