Friday, November 6, 2009

Too far

So I admit that I've been drowning in "self" posts. And I do have a few more trips to report back on. But for now, on to the important stuff. I voted on Tuesday. I wasn't planning to, but I went solely to cancel out a colleague's vote. Whatever gets you to the polls. I also love (confessions) to vote on gossip web sites. When I vote online I get so excited to report back to Mac (who clearly cares) on how America and I always vote the same. Even when political elections confuse me. Me and America agree on some things. But this time. I'm left confused. The poll is "Has Gossip Girl Gone Too Far?" Their next episode will include a threesome. The first season of this show was ah-mazing. The second season=slightly raunchy, so I started yoga on Monday nights. But this season, I'm at home....and shockingly have found it more wholesome than certain Tuesday night television. The show moved to 9 pm (from 8 pm), BUT am I really supposed to believe their target audience is 18-34 year olds? The show is called Gossip Girl. IT'S ON THE WB! I wasn't born yesterday. In fact I was born and fall directly into their average age target viewer. But I also know that my aunts let my cousins watch the show bc Julie does. I admit I cried the first time Mac told me for this reason alone I shouldn't watch. Not bc I didn't think he was right. But bc I was angry that the writers had taken away my show. The group that has been fighting this content asks the network “Will you now be complicit in establishing a precedent and expectation that teenagers should engage in behaviors heretofore associated primarily with adult films?”

What happened to TGIF? I think I've decided that when I have teenagers I'm going to watch the shows that they watch. I realize this will be easier for me than some parents....I don't meet too many shows I dislike. But I watch Gossip Girl and I ask my cousins.....is this what high school is really like? It's eye opening what teenagers face. What has become normal. And I have about ten more posts on this subject regarding the book "Eat, Pray, Love".


What do you think? Has Gossip Girl gone too far? 50% of People.com readers say No.

2 comments:

  1. Yulie, it's not a question of it going to far now, it has been too far:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the article on people.com and wondered if you would write about it. :) I also voted and was astounded and disgusted that (when I voted) 52% said it hadn't gone too far. I've only seen a few episodes of the show when it first came out, but especially since having a little one, the song that keeps playing in my mind is "be careful little eyes what you see!"

    ReplyDelete