Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tis the Season.....Gifts

I'm not the best with gifts. (Even if I am needy when it comes to the other four love languages.) I really struggle with gifts. Namely surprises, which kills, what we'll call "most" of the fun for the gift giver. You can watch our home videos for proof. It's not something I'm proud of. But I can't even fake it. Not that I'm not excited. Or thankful. It is just super tough for me to handle receiving a gift/knowing someone has spent money on me, if it's not "perfect". I admit that as I've gotten older and money has gone to grown-up things like mortgages and eye glasses, opening a gift, even if it's hideous, sounds somewhat appealing. Mac is the opposite. I swear he's never seen a gift he didn't like. And then we just pay for alterations on things that are too big or buy different versions.....when he could have exchanged. But he does have a way about him that I'm sure gift givers appreciate. I struggle with wondering if it is fully selfish to want other people's money to be spent on what I want. What part of me is responsible for just being thankful?

So let's get down to it. Here's where you can help!

What is an appropriate gift for co-workers? You know, the people you spend your whole life with. The people who make you want to run to Xmas vacation. The people you feel like you already give everything to. I realize this is more of a token gift, but how big of a token?

And there's parents. The people you care about the most. Who since you have known them have given to you. And you try to give back. You try all year. But then there's this one day that reminds you that you don't really try hard enough. What gift do you give to the people who seem to have everything.....and hopefully on top of that, a little extra gas money every once in a while. Do you just give them back the gas money? This tanks on me?

Don't even get me started on the spouse. Cause I'm pretty sure whatever he gives me is really actually from me. And in theory, the gifts from ME should be the best! But is this where the "just be thankful" lesson could teach the most? Do I really think Mac thought I couldn't live without the dress that was 2 sizes too big, or was it just the first (read only) one he saw when he walked in the store on my actual birthday? Shame on me?

As you can see. I'm in a tizzy. That will most likely not be resolved in the next 45 days. And I know I said I hated gifts. But give me just this one! Help please!

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree. You got me a scarf one time that I still wear all over the place...and I'm going to have to defer to you if it is now out of style my trendy fashionista friend!

    ReplyDelete