Thursday, November 19, 2009

Things We Like: Sbux

Though the doctor recently told me to lay off the Starbucks. (how did she know?) This is really the only thing I can come up with for my Xmas list. It's the one thing I wish I had more of. And really feel treated when I get. This week. In the midst of the biggest recession of my generation, my neighborhood Starbucks increased their prices. Did yours? Give me some numbers. How much is the new Carmel Brulee latte? Cause that's clearly what I'm after. Even if it's skim/no whip. I think it's still worth the almost $4. Ok, I don't really know, BUT I will know after my Sat. morning coffee date! Counting down the hours! (42 aka The reason I babysit on Sat. nights.) I LOVE Starbucks.

And so I wonder. Is the rise in prices a sign of a turning economy? Or a sign that Sbux has become an inelastic good. (Defined as "Addictive goods such as tobacco, alcohol, gambling and Super Bowl tickets, because the addicted consumer will buy them even at higher prices.") Am I an addict? There's part of me that also wonders if when times are tough. And people are cutting out the expensive clothes, the extra vacations, if a small little pick-me-up doesn't help bring on a smile. Is that justification for rising prices?

How much is your Starbucks? I "think" our holiday Tall Lattes are $3.55....Peppermint Fraps are an even $4. But you can practically call that one a milkshake. Right?

Worth every penny.

1 comment:

  1. girl you know i think it's worth it. although my grande peppermint mocha that i my mouth starts watering for every fall is now $3.95. and i just don't see how this is possible hazardous to your health. isn't a sugar rush what every morning needs?

    ReplyDelete