Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Where Are They Now: Geena Davis

As Mac mentioned already, neither of us are huge soccer fans, minus the obvious and most famous Cat Whitehill. In fact, I tell most people that I never played soccer, which isn't completely true. At age 3 I was on a team with a Cabbage Patch Kid and a Beetlejuice look alike (Beetlejuice is an upcoming outdoor movie...oh how all posts tie together). I'm sure on a "Where Are They Now" these girls have surpassed me all around, so I'm not trying to knock them, but if I can get my hands on a pic, you'll thank me.

A few years ago I was the stat keeper for the JV soccer team at Langley High School. I was really a Young Life leader, but being so clueless about the game helped me interact better with the kids. We'd usually disagree on "shots", which I called missed passes. But it was tons of fun and my best high school friends were all stud soccer players.

That being said, JV soccer is nothing like the Washington Freedom. In fact, the Washington Freedom, felt like I was in a movie..... similar to "A Leauge of Their Own." The last time I watched these girls they were winning a gold medal for the US and now they have been dispersed to their different teams (Poor Dottie and Kit.)

So clearly it made me wonder. Where is Geena Davis? My parents watched her on Tootsie. Most of you probably fell in love through Thelma and Louise. (side fact: the original hottie role was supposed to be for Billy Baldwin, but he had Backdraft conflicts--my fave movie at the time/pre Lord of the Rings--so they replaced him with Brad Pitt. This movie MADE Brad Pitt. All bc of a scheduling conflict!!! So anytime any of you are busy, I'll step in. Watch out world!) Much like those other 80s movies, I don't think I was allowed to watch Thelma and Louise, so I discovered Geena a year later in A League of Their Own. I can still sing all the songs. But if I typed the words now, you wouldn't know if I cheated.

I basically thought Geena had since fallen off the face, but that's bc I was unaware of Stuart Little Parts II AND III. Come on. Part III? Kids these days. What else could Stuart possibly get into? I had big hopes for her in 2006, I think so did Hillary Clinton, when she was cast as the country's first female pres on "Commander in Chief". But I didn't vote for Hillary, and I did not watch this show. Sorry Geena!

Next up she'll be in a movie titled "Exit 19", not gonna lie it doesn't even look worthy of a Redbox run. But maybe one day I'll welcome Geena back into my home. If only she had gotten the SNL spot instead of Julia Louis-Dreyfus. If only JLD had had a scheduling conflict.


1 comment:

  1. Now, the real question is "Where is Kit!?!?" Woe is the little sister never adding up...(sigh)

    ReplyDelete